[Tig] DPX 10bit or 12bit for Film OUT

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Dec 23 19:31:25 GMT 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Lou Levinson wrote:

> i have used some 12 bit material from f35 as 12 bit dpx, and you can
> go fromcodex capture, thru colorcorrection, ect, to filmout and
> maintain 12 bits.you can run your dlp at 12 bit 444, as well. being
> able to compare the same pictures at 10 and 12 bit capture is
> interesting as allwho were watching at the time were convinced they
> could see a slight, but visible difference. we didn't have time for

If the data is linear-light as obtained directly from a
camera/datacine CCD (or as portrayed by a DLP projector) then 12 bits
is perhaps not even enough since up to 14 bits may be required to
avoid loss. With log encoding, 12 bits is plenty more than enough.
10 bit log is designed to be only 2X better than the eye can see,
which is not a lot of margin for error.

In summary, if your data is not log-encoded (or gamma encoded
intensity), then even 12 bits might not be sufficient to avoid visible
loss with a large dynamic range.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn