[Tig] Floating in the Digital Experience (NYT)

alex black enigma at turingstudio.com
Mon Jan 4 20:12:23 GMT 2010

I've read reams (and reams and reams) of handwringing analysis about
the death of cinema, though I haven't read very much that relates that
so fervently looked-for death to changes in the technology used to
produce cinema. I also take issue at this line:

"filling our screens with images that, more and more, have been
created algorithmically rather than photographically."

While in small part she is of course correct, in the only meaningful
sense she is not: Avatar was created from trillions of data points
captured from real human beings and real environments. That data was
obviously manipulated to create the images, but should be
characterized as 'capture' as opposed to 'generation'. A lot of that
work was photographic capture. The world "feels real" precisely
because it is based on data from the real world.

Cinema is alive, well in some ways and deeply ill in others, and I
think has about zero chance of disappearing as a medium without
tectonic changes in related technology. The change from celluloid to
silicon isn't in the same galaxy as the kind of change necessary to
signal the death of cinema as we have known it.

_a

--
alexander black
turing: web applications