[Tig] Scratches on film support/ emulsion

Rogério Moraes rogerito at terra.com.br
Wed Jan 6 02:06:51 GMT 2010

Maybe this will be a long thread or a short lived one. Does anyone know a
site, a knowledge base, white paper, article, anything that covers "
everything "  related on film scratches or damage? After long debates, an
extenuating session, a discussion with film crew, over why, how and (what´s
most important) who is responsible for a certain scratch/ damage on an
camera negative, I couldn't  find anything  anywhere "scientific" or precise
enough to base my knowledge how a certain type  of scratch is made. If it's
on camera, on the lab process or even telecine machine (not the last one, I
can assure you).  Something that covers what's the nature of the damage and
how it would appear on a telecine suite? If it has a color (blue), can I be
certain that it happened before the development process? If it shakes or
moves, can I be certain that´s not in camera? Emulsion or support damage, do
they look different? If, over the scratch, when a zoom in, I see grain, and
on close inspection of the begative I can't see any distinct marks on
support or emulsion, how or where it happened?  Sorry, I'm a skeptic and
love to base all my assumings on other than: well, there´s no answer for
that
 Taking account on Occam's Razor

Hope I was clear
.