[Tig] Inexpensive Monitoring

Robert Houllahan rob at cinelab.com
Wed Jan 13 23:30:56 GMT 2010

 thought both displays had strengths and I also felt confirmed in my decision to get the panasonic, true there is the chatter but I feel that the better contrast and blacks are worth it. The material we were both looking at was 2K scans of  16mm and 35mm that I shot. I felt the color was closer to what I shot or I could get the grade closer to it  (to me) on the plasma which is a part of why I went with it.

One thing I thought looking at the Dreamcolor was that I did not see it make a real consistent white across the whole panel there seemed to be a bit of lumpy impurity to a full white frame being fed to it.

Surprisingly although the Plasma performs better in off axis the HP was very good.

On the Plasma I was a little disappointed by the subtle rings around the very bright light source in one of the shots I don't know if this is a component of the plasma drive system as the panel is supposed to be 10 bits and deep color.

Last thought for the moment is that I think the 24" display is a bit small for the situation I am using the display in, I have since moved the Plasma back from the desk a bit...

Both displays were very nice for the price point that they occupy.

Robert Houllahan
rob at cinelab.com
Colorist-Director
www.cinelab.com