[Tig] "Prysm" display technology

Mark Wolforth mark at filmlight.ltd.uk
Fri Jan 15 00:24:51 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 14/01/10 4:18 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> Do you have a publically-available technical reference you can refer
> to which supports this? Why do you think that one principle takes
> effect vs another?

I was speaking off the top of my head, but my own experience is that
phosphors that would be interesting in this kind of application tend to
mostly fluoresce under UV light rather than phosphoresce.  Fluorescence
is all over a maximum of about 10^-5 seconds after the stimulation ends,
so for any appreciable persistence you need to get some phosphorescence
going.

My experience with phosphors is now a bit outdated, and with all the R&D
that's gone into plasma display panels there could now be phosphors
commonly available that phosphoresce for a useful amount of time (and
not too long!) when excited by UV.

> This wikipedia page suggests that the principle is the same via the
> very first sentence:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor
>
> "A phosphor is a substance that exhibits the phenomenon of
> phosphorescence (sustained glowing after exposure to energized
> particles such as electrons or ultraviolet photons)."

Ah, Wikipedia.  That particular page could use a little updating.
Phosphorescence and fluorescence are two quite different processes that
follow different time lines:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03595.htm

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Phosphorescence.html

> Note that the lasers used are in the ultraviolet range.

Yup.  Exactly.

Mark.