[Tig] When to Crop the full gate sacn dpx

Carl Skaff carl at stopp.se
Fri Jan 22 15:38:00 GMT 2010

I know of one movie that they scaned the S35mm 4perf (non anamorphic) in an ArriScan CROPPED
The scan/grade company said, "If you want it in 4K we can scan it in 4K but then we will crop it to 2,35 directly in the scanner... to save storage, and that limits you from tilting shots in grading"
worked fine as a bargening thing, that saved them a sh*t lot of storagenot having the 4K 4:3 image in the SAN for the whole post. When there normal chain is built for 2K.

Do you really shoot-out a 4:3 image to neg after the grade/online? I though that you would either put a letterbox/crop the "output-dxp" or stretch it to anamorphic so the release-print is projected using a anamoph lens in the theatre.
Why shoot-out image that is ment for no-one to ecer be seen. Lets say the projectionist f*ck up in the theatre and layses the film one perf wrong so everybody sees a mic-boom in all the shots and cut-of-legs...

/carl

Carl Skaff
Head of Telecine
Stockholm Postproduction