[Tig] Fwd: Fantastic footage ...from a Streetcar in 1906

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 23 06:50:19 GMT 2010

On Jan 23, 2010, at 12:24 AM, Marc Wielage wrote:

> Even Ken Burns' films add sound effects and animate still photos to simulate
> movement, all done in an attempt to add life to old footage.

I think Burns is a talentless corporate hack.  He and his brother have no respect for the archival footage they abuse.

My favorite example is Ric Burns' film about Andy Warhol.

Whatever you think of Warhol, he was very concerned about his frames.  (When a film has 33 minute takes, that matters.)

Burns Jr. decided that his compositional sense was superior to Warhol's, and he cropped all of the film clips from Warhol's films (which were 1.33) to 16:9.  In some cases, this cropped one of three characters out of the frame, making it incomprehensible.

Why?  Because he could get away with it.

I deal a lot with archival film, and while I have no problem using modern technology to repair defects that have occurred through years of negligence, I don't think we have the right to alter someone else's work.  Even removing grain alters the brushstroke of the artist.

Just waiting for the equivalent of Burns to rewrite Faulkner, say, to make it more accessible to modern audiences.

But I'm a cranky old curmudgeon.

Jeff