[Tig] Projector grading for Dummies

peter_swinson at compuserve.com peter_swinson at compuserve.com
Thu Nov 11 16:18:49 GMT 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Carl Skaff wrote:
> I'm not a Footlambert expert....
> But if 3D = 5fl and 2D=14fl
> does that mean 2D is almost three time brighter then 3D?

and

Bob Friesenhahn wrote

> Yes.  It is so dark that the eye switches to night-vision mode.  It
> may take some time in the dark theater before the viewer's eyes have
> adjusted sufficiently to see the image correctly.

Bearing in mind that the human visual system islogarithmic,  A halving of the brightness,to us looks a lot lot less.  Thephotographic difference between 14fl and 5fl is less than 2 stops or the equivalentof about 0.5 ND.  The difference between alight and heavy overcast day. Hardly pushing our visual system into “night  vision” mode!

cheers

Peter