[Tig] HD copy management via EDL

Craig Leffel craig at optimus.com
Fri Nov 12 20:03:13 GMT 2010

Hello there -

I have a question about external hard drives and getting material off of
them as quickly as possible....

As we primarily work on commercials, we are typically in a scenario
where we get an EDL from an editor - and a hard drive(s) full of source
material.
We prefer to work off raw material or camera originals whenever
possible. So, for Red jobs, we typically use Monkey Extract to load the
EDL - and then Monkey finds all the R3D files on the drive. We then hit
*copy* and can copy just those shots to a selected destination,
typically a SAN. This is much easier and faster than manually searching
through a drive to try and find shots obviously....

However, we are in this situation all the time with other kinds of media
( Prores, H.264 < TC added via QT change >, many others )  and I am
convinced that there has to be some software out there that will let me
go grab any kind of files I want from a drive via an EDL the same way as
Monkey does, I just haven't found it yet. Monkey only seems to work with
R3D files. Anyone know of any kind of software that does something like
this?

I ask at the risk of looking like an idiot, which I clearly am, so go
easy on me.

Thanks much -

Craig Leffel

Senior Colorist