[Tig] da Vinci Resolve on MAC

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Oct 19 16:33:31 BST 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Robert Houllahan wrote:

>> I'm curious if the power supply on the Mac would be able to handle
>> all those cards and what not ... I wouldn't be surprised if things
>> started to get a little unstable... But yes, Dwaine or someone at
>> daVinci would be best to know what the deal is ...
>
> The PCIe expansion chassis typically have their own power supplies
> so they will not load the Mac-Pro supply at all and would probably
> even un burden it.

Yes, but these high end video cards usually require an extra power
connection.  The PCI-E expansion chassis would need to offer the extra
power connection for all of the slots with a strong enough power
supply.

The high energy demands of video cards are the reason why high-end PCs
are coming with 1000W (or higher!) power supplies these days.

Keep in mind that the typical 115V wall outlet in the US is only
capable of supporting a max of 1500W, and a continuous power draw at
anything close to this level will heat the wires in the wall and waste
energy.  A higher voltage outlet, and/or carefully-designed dedicated
circuit, may be required to safely/efficiently support the hardware.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn