[Tig] Resolve on MAC

Simon Brazzalotto brazzalotto at optusnet.com.au
Wed Oct 20 15:25:29 BST 2010

Hi All,

Our usually reliable Linux Resolve had a motherboard die the other
week and we've been using a hired Mac Resolve.  Our usual workflow is
to bounce in and out via tape using 10bit DPX.  Most of our work is
SD and it performed quite happily using internal RAID storage for
this.  I even had it Power Master direct from the timeline to tape on
a long job that had very simple grades with only one to three nodes
per shot.

The hired system is not on the most up to date or fastest MacPro and
it only had a Tangent wave panel which was not only limiting but I
also found it unresponsive, so I was constantly watching the WFM to
see if I was getting a reaction from the controls.  The main
highlights encoder wheel seemed most unreliable but it may have had a
hard life as a hire panel.

I've also used it on two HD jobs with pre-conformed QTs as the
source.  For these I used faster external storage (Bright RAIDS via
fast ethernet, not fibre).  The first was 10bit uncompressed and the
second was ProResHQ.  The GPU wouldn't play in realtime (25fps).  It
managed the uncompressed at 20-22fps and the ProResHQ at 18-20fps.
Both jobs were rendered as 10bit DPX and played to SR Betacam with
only 1 or 2 dropped frame aborts.  The first job was also rendered
out as ProResHQ QT.

The SDI monitoring flickers and jumps all the way through the renders
on SD and HD and sometimes displays this flickering image through a
half mix of the last Gallery still you may have used for a split
screen comparison.  All of this is very disconcerting, particularly
for clients.

Overall I think Resolve on Mac has potential and obvious appeal for
its price point but it needs the absolute fastest and newest Macs as
well as fast storage and high bandwidth connections just like any
other serious colour grade system once you go above SD.  For HD and
higher it seems to be really pushing the capabilities of the system
but these things will continue to improve in the way of all things
computing.  There are potential workflow advantages as well because
of the Codec freedom that the Mac platform allows.  The proper
Resolve panel would have been nice to try.

Simon Brazzalotto
Colourist and Online Editor
ABC TV Sydney