[Tig] XSAN as main SAN for Grading

Simon Brazzalotto brazzalotto at optusnet.com.au
Wed Oct 20 15:41:12 BST 2010

Hi All,

I work in a facility that switched from Avid/Unity to FCP/XSan and,
FCP problems aside, I wouldn't wish XSan on my worst enemy unless
they really deserve to suffer.

Most of our work is SD PAL but we are increasingly trying to
accommodate co-productions that wish to create HD masters for
international sales even though we only require SD delivery for
broadcast.  HD ProRes from XSan via FCP to tape is problematic enough
but you can't even contemplate uncompressed.

We are yet to develop a tapeless grading workflow but I don't see
XSan managing any more than delivering pre-conformed QTs that can be
copied to our Resolve's locally attached storage.  This offers no
great workflow advantages over bouncing via tape as we currently do.

Simon Brazzalotto
Colourist and Online Editor
ABC TV Sydney