[Tig] Tig Digest, Vol 195, Issue 2

Carl Skaff carl at stopp.se
Wed Oct 20 17:31:50 BST 2010

Hmm...
I've also been thinking about putting a PCIe splitter in one of our
MacResolve. I was planing to have the FC-card and RedRocket connected on the
splitter. I was thinking that if I split the PCI into two cards. Then each
card will get half amount of lanes.
But if I'm grading Red then I'm using RedRocket but since its a compressed
format it isn't using so much bandwidth on the FC.

And for normal DPX jobs when I do require a lot of FC bandwidth... I'm not
using RedRocket anyway... So all the lanes could be used by FC.

If you try splitting RedRocket and DeckLink please let us know how it went.

Maybe it will work cus you are not using ReDocket during ingest/playout
anyway. Although It is used for monitoring.

I've got a RedRocket in our Linux and d*mn it nice not having to wait for
debayering.

/Carl

I'm also interested in using a da vinci with shared storage, but I ran

into problems figuring out how to use my mac's expansion slots.  Most

configurations I've seen are:

1) primary graphics

2) processing graphics

3) decklink

4) Red Rocket OR storage

There are PCIe expansion chassis for the Mac for around $1500 you could add
a 2 slot PCIe expansion chassis and put the Red-Rocket and the Decklink card
into it and plug it into slot 3. I would defer to Dwaine or someone else
from DaVinci but I think the Mac Resolve will stay a single GPU system.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
rob at cinelab.com
Colorist-Director