[Tig] 16fps Film Transferred on Rank Cintel & Pulldown

John A. Mozzer jamworks at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 23 00:43:08 BST 2010

I'm not really sure how to count fields in Final Cut Express, and have
been planning to ask about this on an Apple discussion forum.  I figured
I'd inquire about the pulldown first.

I did find out that setting Final Cut Express' Viewer at 100% shows
interlacing.  So I stepped through the following thirty frames of one of
the captured transfers at that setting.  Starting at the beginning of a
shot where I panned the camera, I noted where I saw interlacing ("yes"),
and where I did not see interlacing ("no").  I'm not sure how to
decipher this:

00:04:01;01 - yes
00:04:01;02 - yes
00:04:01;03 - no
00:04:01;04 - yes
00:04:01;05 - no
00:04:01;06 - yes
00:04:01;07 - no
00:04:01;08 - yes
00:04:01;09 - no
00:04:01;10 - no
00:04:01;11 - no; seems to be exactly the same as 00:04:01;10
00:04:01;12 - no
00:04:01;13 - no
00:04:01;14 - no
00:04:01;15 - no; seems to be exactly the same as 00:04:01;14
00:04:01;16 - no
00:04:01;17 - yes
00:04:01;18 - no
00:04:01;19 - yes
00:04:01;20 - no
00:04:01;21 - yes
00:04:01;22 - no
00:04:01;23 - yes
00:04:01;24 - no
00:04:01;25 - no
00:04:01;26 - no; seems to be exactly the same as 00:04:01;25
00:04:01;27 - no
00:04:01;28 - no
00:04:01;29 - no
00:04:02;00 - no; seems to be exactly the same as 00:04:01;29

Regarding Dave Keleshian's question, "if one is interested in
de-interlacing, why introduce a pulldown in the first place?"  Actually,
I only started thinking about de-interlacing after the transfers were
done, after capturing all of them, and then experimenting with
compressing to H.264 without de-interlacing.  The resulting H.264 file
plays with "combing" artifacts.

Ironically, I uploaded edited clips of the transfers as raw DV stream
files to YouTube, and let YouTube handle the compressing.  They managed
to do it without introducing interlacing artifacts.  So it must be possible.