[Tig] Panasonic plasma vs. Anything

Nagy Eszter nagy.eszter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 10:11:17 BST 2010

Hopefully there always will be a difference between the client monitor
(which is couple of meters from the colorist) and a proper broadcast monitor
that we can use to judge. Im afraid somewhere in this discussion we started
to mix the two...
I think its not a bad thing to have a plasma or lcd as a reference for home
viewing (and to keep the clients away from our desk), but it would be scarry
to grade on them...

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Owen Williams <owen at ywwg.com> wrote:

> IBC Focus Sheet 2010 at http://www.colorist.org/wiki/TIGIBCFS10
> ====
>
> So I guess we are all going to go back to paying 50K for specialty
> monitors like the Dolby.  Is that so bad?  Sure it's nice to pay 5000$
> for a decent monitor, but at some point you have to pay for quality,
> especially if the mass market doesn't care about viewing angle, black
> level, uniformity, and accuracy.
>
> Owen
> --
> Online Editor / Colorist
> Rockhopper Post Production
> www.rockhopperpost.com
>
> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 10:33 -0700, Andy Delle wrote:
> > Sohonet http://www.sohonet.co.uk sponsors the TIG.
> > IBC Focus Sheet 2010 at http://www.colorist.org/wiki/TIGIBCFS10
> > ====
> >
> > "Why do you think CRT's are no longer available? It is not economically
> viable to maintain a factory capable of producing 50,000 plasma panels (or
> crt s previously) per week just to satisfy the needs of a minority market
> (i.e. us).
> > It is purely a commercial desision - based on the increasing market share
> and performance of lcd panels."
> >
> > So are you saying the days of Plasmas are numbered too? I tend to agree.
> The consumer base seems quite happy with milky LCDs. And don't forget the
> California proposed ban on Plasma TVs. Well there aren't exactly banning
> Plasmas, they are just pushing for a TV energy consumption standard no
> Plasma can possibly meet.
> >
> > Andy Delle
> > VP Engineering, Systems and Infrastructure
> > Laser Pacific Media Corporation
> > 809N Cahuenga Blvd.
> > Los Angeles, CA 90038
> > 323-462-6266  x2374