[Tig] IIF Status

Cem Ozkilicci cemoz101 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 10:10:35 GMT 2011

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the thorough response!

I noticed that you wrote:

"You might also convert RAW to ProRes, DNxHD, or any other working format, but it is likely
that you would have to convert from (CameraRAW) to ACES
to Rec709 for those formats for regular desktop use within IIF."

It all sounds good except that my only concern would be in fact the conversion when it comes to editorial. There would be too many steps for the material to get into editing. Editors are used to getting Prores' or DNxHD files that they can bring in and edit without having to convert or process and that is why DNxHD and (unfortunately) Prores has been so good (for them) to work with. Already, ARRI is planning on releasing the ability to record natively in DNxHD. So the question for editors would be "Why should I wait to get my material when I can work with the natively recorded DNxHD or Prores files?".

Will the conversions you talk about need re-rendering of the Camera RAW or would these conversions be done on a GPU level where rendering would not be required through an accelerator card (a la Red Rocket)?

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Cem

Colorist
Storyline Studios / Oslo