[Tig] IIF Status

Jim Houston jdhouston at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 19 18:32:00 GMT 2011

On Dec 19, 2011, at 3:05 AM, Frank Hellmann wrote:

> Anyway, I was wondering how target colorspaces are handled in IIF? Assuming you would want your footage to have more or less the same look on all delivery formats (DCI P3 XYZ, HD Rec709, sRGB, Film Log...), it would be handy to reference that within the IIF container itself, so that all working stages (grading, vfx, titles...) exactly know which color limits (like a print film emulation lut) to apply.

There are output device transforms defined for any target color space.   These ODT's convert
 from the output of the Reference Rendering Transform (RRT) to each output device.  Thus
the standard set of output 'LUTS'  might be
RRT+DCIP3
RRT+Rec709
RRT+Film

You could also get more specific and have
RRT+Rec709 at 3000:1DR
RRT+Rec709 at 10,000:1DR

The Look is handled mostly by the RRT which can be adjusted with a 'delta'
 that are called Look Modification Transforms (LMT).  These are things like
 the ASC-CDL, or a BleachBypassLUT, or a DayForNightLUT.  References to these LUTs
and the ODT can be saved in the EXR image header.

> Are there any further publications or links available for the ACES/IIF specs?

coming soon.  There are some power points available.  You can check in
 at www.stcatp.org.  I'll see if I can look up some links.

Jim Houston