[Tig] projector

Robert Houllahan rob at cinelab.com
Wed Feb 16 18:45:33 GMT 2011

> My opinion is, almost any decent projector can be made to work, assuming it
> has the range of adjustment and the stability to look good, day-in and
> day-out, and you have a good LUT that will show you the truth behind the
> image.  Just getting the grayscale right is an enormous challenge.

I know a few people who have JVC D-ILA 3 chip projectors who have said they have calibrated them close to P3 with some work, most of them claim about 900-1000 lumens so obviously for 14fl you are limited to a smaller screen size.

> One potential issue is that all projection bulbs age over time, and you have
> to have the ability to check luminance on a weekly or even daily basis,
> making sure it's not drifting.

True but I was under the impression that the "Pro" Xenon's were much more stable a in terms of light output over their lifetime..

> One hopes this will improve, if and when they can get LED light outputs
> enough for a theatrical viewing environment.

Did I see that Peter Sutton said there were LED projectors being calibrated to P3 on small screens for DI work in a previous email? Seems like a great solution if you are not looking to fill a big theatre...

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
rob at cinelab.com
Colorist-Director