[Tig] camera dynamic range quotes are getting silly!

peter_swinson at compuserve.com peter_swinson at compuserve.com
Sat Feb 19 00:02:19 GMT 2011

 My comments whether animators needed 30 stops prompted Kevin to to respond

Animators generally don't but lighters do :-)

This all works best on stills, you might for instance take 9 exposures
2 stops apart giving you 18 plus whatever your camera really does say
8 on a good day, that would give you 24 stops + noise in a '14 bit'
camera.

Ultimately the photon probably was captured right :-)

OK, I stand corrected, but I notice Kevin, if I understand him correctly reckons a raw digital camera at one aperture setting is good for " 8 (stops) on a good day."

I do accept that unlike film, electronic capture devices can have their gains cranked up & down. I guess decent photomultipliers or Large area avalanche photo
diodes can be cranked to give out a signal with just a few photons, then cranked down to require millions of photons to generate a signal. Just not at the same time.

cheers

Peter