[Tig] Tig] camera dynamic range quotes are getting silly!

peter_swinson at compuserve.com peter_swinson at compuserve.com
Sat Feb 19 10:13:36 GMT 2011

 Bob wrote

If the sensor device does not have an issue with saturation, then the problem can be dealt with by monitoring the same output signal with multiple amplifiers at once.
Each amplifier would then have a different gain, with only part of its range being used.

Bob,

Two issues with that solution, All sensors that I am aware of do saturate, and more importantly at the opposite end to saturation they all have a noise floor.
So even if we avoid saturation at maximum illuminatio, there is a minimum useful level before the photon to electron conversion gets buried in the various noise sources within the device.
In Astronomy, to improve senisitivity, CCD detectors are cooled way down to reduce thermal noise, Is this used at all in our industry's cameras ?   Is that where Fuji got the term "Coolpix"!!!

cheers

Peter