[Tig] camera dynamic range quotes are getting silly!

Kevin Wheatley hxpro at cinesite.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 10:09:27 GMT 2011

peter_swinson at compuserve.com wrote:
> In terms of using different gains in multiple amplifiers after the detector and
> then combining the results, I would have thought that only reduces the effects of
> amplifier noise, not any intrinsic sensor noise.

I agree, it depends on where the noise comes from.

> Now if what is really  happening is multiple “shutter” gating rates, in shall we call,
> them sub frames, within a regular film frame times then combining the results, that
> would offer wide dynamic ranges. e.g  For a regular 1/24th second exposure, expose
> and process the sensor for  let’s say 1/26th second followed by an exposure of 1/26,000th of a second.

I would guess this is basically the idea behind Red's HDR modes.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd |   Nobody thinks this    |
| Head of Software Engineering          | My employer for certain |

Cinesite (Europe) Ltd. Registered Office: HemelOne, Boundary Way, Hemel Hempstead, Herts, HP2 7YU Registered in Cardiff No. 2820389 VAT No. 630 5446 60