[Tig] Wizard of Oz looked like video...

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Tue Jan 4 23:12:23 GMT 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Skip Elsheimer wrote:

> I had a jarring experience over the holidays watching Wizard of Oz
> streaming in HD on Netflix. It was so sharp and grain-free that it
> looked like it was shot on video. Has anybody else noticed that or
> know the story behind the transfer?

Maybe this is a "restoration" done from the original 3-strip technicolor.  There are those here on the TIG who know more about Technicolor than I do, though I'm an ardent fan of it in most cases.  As I recall, the three strip process needed a lot of light, which caused the actors to get rather warm.  That added light, however, could contribute to an ideal exposure, ensuring relatively little grain, which would contribute to sharpness, though one would think registration errors in the printing would re-introduce lack of sharpness.  I just wish technicolor hadn't completely disappeared in favor of tri-pack negative emulsion, which has its own peculiarities.

Rob  TIG admin
--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org     http://rob.colorist.org