[Tig] Wizard of Oz looked like video...

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Jan 4 23:23:00 GMT 2011

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Skip Elsheimer wrote:

> I had a jarring experience over the holidays watching Wizard of Oz
> streaming in HD on Netflix. It was so sharp and grain-free that it
> looked like it was shot on video. Has anybody else noticed that or
> know the story behind the transfer?

I think that it was described elsewhere that they re-started from
scratch with a 4K transfer.  The transfer was so good that they could
see the wires holding up the flying monkeys.

I have the Blu-ray but have only watched a short bit thus far.  I
don't recall that it looked like video but it does look bright and
clear.  While the video content looks good, the Blu-ray release
package is a total dissappointment in that it is made to be cheap as
possible without a nice box or literature included.  The packaging is
an insult to the film.  Collectors will not be happy.

Note that the compression algorithm used for Netflix streaming surely
alters the content from the "original" quality.  You are not getting
anything close to the full bandwith.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn