[Tig] Wizard of Oz looked like video...

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Jan 5 14:48:37 GMT 2011

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Alex Pimentel wrote:

> Maybe for Netflix HD there is a need of huge noise reduction for bandwidth savings.
> Also I have noticed that h.264 has a distinct compression behavior than MPEG2
> turning images looks into more "video type thing".

While Wizard of Oz was wonderfully remastered for Blu-ray, everything
after that implies that the intended audience will be small children
with the player set to repeat mode.  This is made clear from the
flimsy packaging, Blu-ray disk label ("Disk One", implying that there
are more disks), and the selection of forced previews before watching
the film.  The sad thing is that modern children do not seem to
appreciate Wizard of Oz the way we did.

Given the apparent intended audience, there should be little wonder
that the streaming video was more compressed than normal.

When Lawrence of Arabia is finally released on Blu-ray, let us hope
that there will be a collector's edition which shows the appreciation
it deserves.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn