[Tig] Wizard of Oz looked like video...

Richard Kirk richard at filmlight.ltd.uk
Wed Jan 5 22:17:39 GMT 2011

> From: Alex Pimentel <alex at casablancaonline.com.br>
>
> I saw a digital projection at IBC main theater a couple of years ago
> (maybe 3).
> It was impressive for a movie with that age.

I saw that too. I thought it was film, though there was to be a
digital release too. As far as I can remember, they scanned the
original three separation matrix, aligned the elements, and then
printed the image onto conventional internegative stock. The
Technicolor process always had trouble aligning the separations, and
this printed them in perfect register. Unfortunately, this meant that
you could see the seams in the Munchkin village set, and the Emerald
City in the distance looked like a backdrop. Parts of it looked more
like 'The Banana Splits'. Be careful what you wish for...

They made a choice to do as little as possible to the image. They did
a presentation on how the film was recreated; they said they corrected
the registration errors, and tried to get as close to the Technicolor
gamut as current print stocks allow, but they tried not to touch the
images themselves other than to correct obvious faults. There was lots
of heart-searching as to whether it was 'right' to edit out the flying
monkey strings, and other faults that came into focus when the
separations were aligned. It would be interesting to go to the other
extreme and make a high-gamut 4k digital version using all the modern
touch-up techniques to get the film as we might imagine the original
artists would have wanted.

Cheers.
Richard Kirk