[Tig] Wizard of Oz looked like video... Technicolor Gamut

Ed Reitan ereitan at novia.net
Thu Jan 6 16:02:12 GMT 2011

Richard Kirk, in his message below, said "tried to get as close to the
Technicolor
 gamut as current print stocks allow".

I personally was disappointed in the color of the recent "Wizard" on
Blu-ray.  I did not see the beautiful flesh tones and more deep reds of even
the much earlier NTSC Laserdisc "Wizard" release.

And certainly I did not see the very deep and rich reds and greens of a
Technicolor Imbibition "Wizard" print seen at the Los Angeles Vagabond in
the 1970's.

Just what is the gamut of the Blu-ray format - what color primaries does it
use, or is that left up to the producer of the disc?  The distribution of
the specification for the Blu-ray format is limited to members, so I have
not found information of the format's gamut capability - or is it just a
pass-through from whatever film scanner is used?

It would also be interesting to find any documentation or measurement of the
gamut of original Technicolor prints.

A comparison of this with present Blu-ray format practice would be
interesting.

Of course, I am in favor of maintaining the widest gamut possible through
the entire scanning-mastering-playback-display thread.

Ed Reitan