[Tig] Dropframe and (Sundance deliverables)

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Tue Jan 11 07:32:27 GMT 2011

Someone confused by the "24 frame" consumer formats like the HDV and
DVCProHD offerings.
Drop frame is also clearly misunderstood by the general community
(seems like) to be "accurate" and runs like a normal clock.  Well,
accurate once an hour, like that "stopped clock" is right twice a
day.  Drop frame has a sort of "serrated" accuracy, since a frame
interval is still exactly the same as 29.97 Non-drop, and as is
fundamentally understood by a few --  the "accuracy" is made up by
skipping 2 frames forward at intervals determined by an obscure
algorithm involving minutes and 10s. And that is "accurate" in whose
dictionary?  Further,the reason why "2 frames" is probably understood
by fewer and fewer individuals every day.  It was even worse
explaining why we wanted to use Non-drop when transferring "A"
dominant dailies, and some doofus wanted the time code to be
"accurate"....  Well, nothing more dangerous than "a little bit of
knowledge"...

On 10-Jan-11, at 11:06 PM, Terry Lockhart wrote:

> Drop-frame:  an easy living concept for producers and master-
> control operators. Hell for everyone else.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H0N4