[Tig] 23.98 with 29.97 timecode?

Jack James jack at surrealroad.com
Wed Jan 12 20:33:51 GMT 2011

Thanks everyone for the confirmation. I have since heard back from Sundance,
who have clarified that the requirement only applies to 59.94i tapes.

Oddly enough they did not seem to be much inclined to correct the error in
their specification for the future, and I'm surprised if other post houses
have not/will not run into this issue again.

Jack

On 12 January 2011 20:01, Bob Kertesz <bob at bluescreen.com> wrote:

> Digital Vision is patron of the TIG.
> Colorist Directory at http://tig.colorist.org/wiki/Category:Colorist
> ====
>
> >The specification for sundance deliverables calls for 23.98 HDCAM SR
> >with 29.97 df timecode.
> >
> >How is this possible? Surely 23.98 must have 24 frame df/ndf timecode?
>
> One would have to go out of one's way in a serious fashion to deliver SR at
> 23.98 with 29.97 DF code. Makes no sense at all.
>
> Perhaps they were referring to the possibility of supplying a separate
> audio
> tape or something, although even that makes little sense, especially as SR
> audio quality is very good indeed.
>
> As an aside, 24p only supports NDF time code. DF does not exist at that
> frame
> rate, based on, I believe, SMPTE specs. I don't know of any camcorder or
> deck
> that offers DF at 24p.
>
> --Bob
>
> Bob Kertesz
> BlueScreen LLC
> Hollywood, California
> bob at bluescreen.com
>
> DIT and Video Controller extraordinaire.
> The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE® compositing.©
>
> High quality images for more than three decades - whether you've wanted
> them or not.©
>
> For details, visit http://www.bluescreen.com

Jack James, Surreal Road Limited

Download the Synaesthesia