[Tig] need 18% gray paint

alexander black enigma at turingstudio.com
Fri Jan 28 00:14:10 GMT 2011

> I just built a studio in Fremont. My color expert & I studied various options for paint & determined that walls were best in "studio white" semigloss leaving the option to pull 18% curtains or flat black as needed. We did the ceiling in flat black outdoor paint as the most non reflective option.

White walls, depending on lighting, could negatively affect your grading decisions and is not to SMPTE RP166 spec:

"The light falling on the unlit monitor screen face should be uniform and as low as possible."

"Surface reflectances should be nonspecular and should not exceed 10% of the peak luminance value of the monitor white. Surfaces which may be visible in the monitor screens, due to the mirror effect, should have a nonspecular surface reflectance of less than 15%."

But it looks like you compensated with curtains.

best,

_alex

--
alexander black