[Tig] some things to consider when designing a timing environs

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Sun Jan 30 07:49:31 GMT 2011

On Jan 29, 2011, at 11:41 PM, Dave Pickett wrote:

> I had a recent, enjoyable eye exam in Atlanta.  Tested my left, right and stereo vision myriad ways. A peripheral vision test as well as the age old "decreasing letter size" test both straight up as well as with different lenses.  One could argue that this environment is more critical than a grading suite.  And they had not a single eyewash, 6500 K source, D65 etc while an Optometrist measures your eyes scientific range, including lens curvature, peripheral vision, optical nerve health etc.

Hi Dave,

A tangential conclusion from your posting would be that there might be a better test for colorists, that would take into account a range of color vision examination.

Yet you feel that the current optometrical test is sufficient for your purposes.  I have always thought the same, yet I'm not sure the exams have kept pace with the color science.  For example, is there any provision in current eye examinations for X chromosome differences?  (there may well be, I only suggest the question).

Rob
--
Rob Lingelbach        Colorist, Dolby Laboratories, Los Angeles
rob at colorist.org     http://rob.colorist.org