[Tig] time budgets

Steve Hullfish steve at veralith.com
Fri Jun 3 22:01:16 BST 2011

Which seems fast?

I was surprised myself at the speed of the documentary grading. It was a supervised session with a fairly picky, but realistic producer sitting in the whole time. He tweaked each and every shot until he was happy. We had three 10 hour days scheduled. The first day went nine hours. The second day went only five. There was no layoff involved. All media was ready to go. It was just the grading. There were about 10 interview subjects. Three of them were in locations where the lighting changed during the course of the interview. The interviews accounted for about a sixth of the visuals time-wise.

The transferred archival film footage - dating back to the 1930s - and video footage from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, was the toughest. That was most of the length of the 90 minutes.