[Tig] Noise Reduction: where in pipeline?

Craig Leffel craig at optimus.com
Fri Jun 10 15:21:26 BST 2011

That was part of my point Richard -
I do, most often use detrain close to the source... In the case of Baselight, we try and work with source files for every camera out there... And yes I put degrain at the top of the stack....

But very often, I am fixing exposure issues or specific dark areas that when opened to the forces of light come with quite a bit of noise. There's nothing more fun than a really underexposed piece of phantom footage... Degraining at the source in a case like that gives you very little... But if you've been aggressive too early, you definitely can't do much later... We've all seen stock 16mm degrained too many times...from film, them tape, then tape again...ugh.

Believe me, I get and understand where best to apply the tool. My point here is that doing it at source is one step, and the potential next step is a denoise just before final output. I don't have a great tool for that, but I've seen some plugins that are amazing in the right circumstance. Next Video comes to mind.

CL

This has been a Mobile Transmission