[Tig] Noise Reduction: where in pipeline?

Kevin Shaw kevs at finalcolor.com
Sun Jun 12 20:52:36 BST 2011

I agree that noise has become more of an issue than grain. And yes as a film master user I do indeed have to mention that DVO tools include both the traditional DVNR style grain reducer and the newer DVO Clarity.

Although Digital Vision objected when I described Clarity as a noise reducer, it nevertheless works really really well on digital camera noise, is highly automated and does not cause artifacts on fast motion, blurred edges or transparency. OK so you have to have a Film Master, Phoenix or other Image Systems product but the point here is it CAN be done.

In terms of where NR should be applied. I usually like to do at least some before grading because it improves all types of key in a better way than pre or post blur or other matte clean up tools ever can.

Adding NR after grading also has its uses, and advantages. And I think that it is an important element in the design of any noise/grain reducer that applying it twice does not cause artifacts

Also if time allows using a degrain/ de noise algorithm in a key and/or shape is a great alternative to blur when it comes to cleaning up skin tones etc

> The point is we NEED a noise reducer these days even more than a grain reducer. I encounter noise that builds from the moment the image is captured to the moment I output it to its intended record media or render media. I often do a separate NR for a rendered strip to save time and get better NR. ( I should say TG ).

DISCLAIMER: I am sometimes paid by Digital Vision to demonstrate their products, but I remain as always a freelancer at heart and have used all the above techniques on independent freelance jobs

Happy Coloring
Kevin

Kevin Shaw		kevs at finalcolor.com
      colorist, instructor and consultant