[Tig] 1Tb & 2Tb Raid disks, what make/model?

Robert Houllahan rob at cinelab.com
Mon Mar 7 19:51:14 GMT 2011

> Since you are talking about 1TB/2TB drives, I'm guessing you have
> ruled out 15K RPM SAS drives are and going with 7200RPM SATA drives.

I don't think the extra cost of SAS drives are worth it for 2K/4K grading in my situation.

> For a disk array holding production data, I would certainly suggest
> sticking with "enterprise" grade SATA drives

Enterprise drives from Seagate, Hitachi and WD are all I am considering..

> Something to consider is getting drives "nearline drives with a SAS
> interface", sometimes called "fat sas" drives: the advantage is that
> you don't have to add "interposer" dongles to the drives to get dual
> porting, so that's one less piece of electronics that can break. It is
> also said that since the SAS protocol is more efficient than the SATA
> protocol, you can get a bit more performance from the same mechanicals
> with a SAS interface than with a SATA interface.

Is this instead of a SAS expander? are these SATA drives with an interface?
> Also, recent drives
> will have 6 gbit/sec SAS interfaces, so it might be interesting to
> look at the Atto R680 controller which supports 6gbit/sec SAS ports.
> The R380 has 8 3 gbit/sec ports, which should be plenty for 20 drives,
> but if you ever plan to hang daisy chain more storage, building a 6
> gbit/sec solution might make sense.

I have a R380 now but could switch it out for a 680 in the future.

> Equivalent drives from Hitachi would be the UltraStar 7K3000, which is
> also available in 3TB models if you get really greedy:

I think 2Tb drives (20) will suffice...

> http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-drives/enterprise/ultrastar/ultrastar-7k3000
>
> Western Digital is also now in the enterprise drive business, but I
> haven't had any experience with their drives yet:

Saw those and was curious I have a few WD drives and they seem ok these days...

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
rob at cinelab.com
Colorist-Director