[Tig] Question from new subscriber

Jack James jack at surrealroad.com
Fri Sep 2 07:18:05 BST 2011

I think the best answer anyone could give to this is to get professional
consultation from someone on this. After spending hundreds of thousands on
equipment, it makes sense to me to pay someone who knows what they are doing
a bit of money to make sure all that kit gets used the right way.

Jack

Disclaimer: I am busy and not trolling for work...

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 00:49, Rob Lingelbach <rob at colorist.org> wrote:

> ====
>
> There is a question from a new subscriber who used the TIG wiki as a blog
> rather than posting to the mailinglist.   Technically one can use the wiki
> as a blog, but questions and answers on the hundreds of pages get fragmented
> rather quickly, in addition to other problems.   I will post the missive
> here as it had already been published on the TIG blog.   Hopefully "Bryce"
> has subscribed to the TIG so will hear of any responses, or someone here
> knows him.
>
> -----quote------
> == Work flows for grading 2K and 4K archival film source material using
> Film Master ==
>
> I am a new TIG member and I work at the National Archives and Records
> Administration (NARA) as a Motion Picture Preservationist. I will be honest
> and say that I do not have a colorist background but I am somewhat familiar
> with the basic fundamentals. I was hoping there were some colorists on the
> wiki who are familiar with Digital Vision's Film Master. I am interested in
> finding if anyone has discovered a colorist work flow that is ideally suited
> for 16mm and 35mm archival film source material (dating from the 1940’s
> through the 1970’s) using Film Master. Here is a little background on what
> we are doing: NARA is using a 2K/4K SPIRIT datacine to scan 16mm (at 2K) and
> 35mm (at 4K) to DPX as log RGB 4:4:4 10 bit full dynamic range (0 to 1023).
> These raw one-lite DPX files will be permanently retained and serve as a
> digital preservation master for those films that we can no longer
> photo-chemically preserve. Clones of the raw DPX files are ingested into
> Film Master for grading, color correction, dust busting, etc. Since NARA can
> only manage and service an uncompressed HD 1080p video file on our servers
> for broadcast quality access I figure I need to grade the clone files for HD
> output. Unfortunately, a corrected 2K and 4K version will not be retained
> because of internal storage and network limitations and NARA will not be
> making film outs of either the corrected or the raw DPX files. This is where
> the colorist work flow questions come in:
>
> 1. For those that are familiar with Film Master, what would folks suggest
> as the best color scaling options to base a project on considering my source
> material and output needs? The options include Linear (SMPTE), Linear
> Computer Generated Render (CGR), Film Log and Video Log? Each of these have
> different scaling and color pivot points.
> 2. I was also interested in obtaining additional information on the
> difference between the CMS burn-in functionality in the software? I heard
> from someone at Digital Vision that the CMS is designed to simulate the
> process of going to film. If that is true and since I am not doing a film
> out, do I need to use the CMS in Film Master for anything?
> 3. This is a more general colorist question: I am also assuming that I need
> [...]

Jack James <http://about.me/jackjames>, Surreal Road
Limited<http://www.surrealroad.com>

Download the Synaesthesia
beta<http://synaesthesia.surrealroad.com/beta/download>