[Tig] Question from new subscriber

Tyler Hawes tyler at litpost.com
Fri Sep 2 17:11:16 BST 2011

Jack is right that the broad range of questions you ask is a sign you're in
over your head and there's a steep learning curve ahead of you. Once these
questions are answered, you'll surely have more. My recommendation is that
you (or your employer, more likely) contact Image Systems (formerly Digital
Vision) and arrange for a day or more of on-site training. Or you could
contact a trainer, like Kevin Shaw (http://www.finalcolor.com/). During this
training, you should use one of your real-world projects as the basis of it.
The goal should be to setup the project, import the footage, do all the work
you need to do on a section of that project so you understand the tools
(DVO, color, LUTs, etc.), and then how to output to various formats.

BTW, if you setup your projects correctly, you should be able to do all your
work at native resolution, output to HD1080p at the end, and keep the
project file around so if a full-resolution output is ever funded or
desired, you can just open the old project and attach the scans and
re-output to high-rez. This is why I would not setup in 1080p HD for the
mastering, because then if you ever go back to output high-rez you have to
redo a lot of work. Also, with dirt/dust removal, aperture correction, weave
smoothing, etc., you really want/need the full resolution source media. You
should only be scaling down to 1080p on the render of the output.

I will answer a couple of your questions directly, real quick, but I'm going
to do them purely on how I would do it, without any qualifications on how
somebody could argue a different way to set it up. This is how *I* would do
it ; )

1. Film Log
2. Monitor is Rec.709 for HD. (SMPTE-C is for standard definition)
3. CMS has a log->709 LUT. (There is a log>linear LUT that ships with
Nucoda, but there are better ones made if you can locate them. We use
TrueLight. You can also checkout CineSpace. Or maybe someone has a LUT
they'll share with you.).

In case it's not clear from above, the CMS (Color Management System is what
that stands for, I think) is what should be used to normalize the log image
to your HD video gamma display. That way you're grading on log, but seeing
it in video gamma. Your trainer can help you setup your HD render output so
it bakes-in the LUT for the final deliverable, but while grading this should
be soft proofed with the CMS button.

The good news is if you can learn all this stuff and master the system,
there's a lot more jobs opened up to you and you might become more
indispensable there. I'd imagine there's a lot of stuff to restore for years
to come...

--
TYLER HAWES
DI Colorist & Visual Effects Supervisor

**

7813 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90046
[323] 874.4487    www.litpost.com

individual to whom they are addressed and it may contain information that is
privileged or confidential. If you have received this communication by
mistake, please notify us immediately by e-mail or telephone.