[Tig] cdl dreams

Lou Levinson joe.beats at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 21:39:23 BST 2011

 Folks,

the initial porpose of, and philosophies behind the cdl were to create a platform
Independent method of being able to communicate the visual part of visual storytelling
Ideas, in a way that the various vendors would all support. Our success to date has been because
of a less is more approach. We started out with a bias against complexity, as manifested by things
Like custom curves and "power" windows. Indeed, if you ever read thru the docs, they're about
Half caveates, warnings of what you the user is going to have to do for yourself. These, sadly
Get ignored all too often. Even so, the cdl is becoming quite widespread. Working for the idea
Of adding 6vector is the added layer of subtle complexity it adds to cross platform coms. Working
Against it are several things. One, most colorists who paint themslves into corners have done so
With this tool, so imagine an onset dit or others with less training getting their hands on it.
Two, much of what the proposed "need" is revolves around issues that the scc is not the fix
For in the first place. We are toying with limited versions of the toolset, but we'll see how those
work out.

The toolset to use is always the one that gets the job done right the first time. With this in mind,
we are a few moore's law generations away from inexpensive toolsets/ infrastructures that can
Do what some us need to do today.

It's my belief/hope that the next few years will bring major league decentralization, where we
Will make the most of the heavy metal tools we'll still need

Lou