[Tig] cdl dreams

Craig Leffel craig at optimus.com
Sat Sep 3 02:48:44 BST 2011

Lou et al -

I will never seem to understand the Decentralization concept you promote.

Commonality promotes nothing but ignorance and laziness. It is nothing short of a Union mentality band aided onto a field where artistic competence, merit, skillsets and toolsets, and the command thereof set the active pay scale of the participants. Their continued successes, demonstration of their mastery to clients, let alone their actual personal relationships worked and solidified over many years,  maintains their pay scale, not whether or not their gear can read a particular database the same way another can.

There is no reason that colorists who have the craftsmanship, skill, and financial resources to buy a many hundred thousand dollar color workstation need concern themselves at ALL with those folks who can muster $1000 to buy a Davinci. The tools are not the same in any way, nor is the client base. Nor are the financial models. There is no good reason at all why the 2 worlds should share anything.

In the past, as you know,
Many colorists specialized in a number
of skills and workflows -

35mm film
16mm film
IP
Master Positive
Tape to Tape
Reversal
Archival

Today's capture formats and workflows are no different. We all need different tools and gear to exercise our mastery and our greatness. To suggest that we need a common starting point, a translation device even, is to suggest that DP's should have a common, documented  lighting setup in case one leaves and another takes over. That they are interchangeable. Or that a Director should document his style, make notes in excel and pass it to the next guy that does the sequel or the next spot in the campaign.

Communicating with words and eyeballs when done by skilled craftsmen and craftswomen always will exceed the ability if some half-assed database that only conveys a fraction of the information you need now, and will never convey all that is required to translate the look and feel in someone else's mind. All involved should give up this nonsense post haste.

Respectfully,

Craig Leffel
Optimus.
Former Colorist.