[Tig] Any thoughts/review about Barco DP2K-P DCI Projector?

Neil Smith neilsm at mac.com
Mon Sep 5 18:50:51 BST 2011

Just want to clarify that we blew the Barco Light Engine because of switching between dual link HD SDI and single link inputs every few seconds .... Bryan would review the hi-res DPX files playing our of SCRATCH (dual link HD SDI) and then want to see the QT edit cut playing out of FCP through single link as well as WIP QuickTimes using the DVI input .... apparently $100k projectors are not design for rapid switching between inputs in quick successions ... as long as we counted to 20 between each switch the projector worked just fine.

As we got closer to the release date we were working the projector 7 days a week, from 8 am in the morning to sometimes midnight ... the last VFX shot was finalled about 10 days before the movie was actually released into theaters and after the other eight reels had been graded and printed .... a stressful time, to say the least, but the Barco handled the pressure just fine ... I however, needed a month to recover once the show wrapped.

Neil

Neil Smith
Managing Director
Hollywood-DI