[Tig] A call for open formats

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Sep 11 18:10:52 BST 2011

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Jack James wrote:

> Wanting around at IBC this year, one thing stuck me more than
> anything else. There are now more proprietary capture formats than
> ever before.

The camera vendors used proprietary RAW formats since that is what
they thought that "you" (the customer) wanted to pay for.  DSLRs
previously used the same approach and no one complained.  Adobe tried
to standardize a TIFF-based RAW format (DNG) but it has not gotten
enough traction among camera vendors.

What format would you like them to use?  Is it ok to loose the
original camera RAW format and save to some other format as the
original master copy?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn