[Tig] A call for open formats

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Mon Sep 12 16:36:22 BST 2011

Agreed on accesibility, but disagreed on the plethora.  If you open
the format dialog in any NLE today, there are two or three pages of
formats now, depending on whether you're on a 23" or 40" display.
And that's just the ones that are natively supported -- between NLEs,
there are flavours that can't be shared.  The MXF wrapper is
apparently analogous to the Quicktime wrapper, but if you aren't
AVID, your FCP workflow stops right there as far as collaboration
goes.  This doesn't even start to peel back the issue of
origination.  I find it hilariously, tragically ironic that the
digital media revolution is masqueraded as "democratization".

Its just hell, no matter how its characterized.  Sweatshop conditions
in return for a "head tax" admission into a questionable (as far as
ROI is concerned) "business".

On 12-Sep-11, at 8:20 AM, Jack James wrote:

> I've got no problem with having a multitude of different formats

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H0N4