[Tig] A call for open formats--Or should it really be standardization?

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Sep 12 17:41:59 BST 2011

The camera codecs and file formats are one thing, but interchange
between NLE's and color correction and then perhaps back again is
something else.

Isn't this an area where SMPTE, EBU and similar organizations should
be taking a lead role in fostering some interchange standards?

I know that there is some interchangeability now via exports to XML
and OMF... but seems to me that the number of steps should be far
less. IE:  Exporting various image file types from Photoshop, or
document types from MS Word or other word processing software.

I can't help but think about the interchange that was possible between
different brands of Quad recorders beginning at the very start of
Videotape more than 50 years ago.

And 20 some years later, what was done to encourage a single format to
come from the competing Sony BVH-1000 and Ampex Type A formats in
1976.  While Ampex and Sony were the main players in that game,
Hitachi, NEC and a few others made machines.

We can look at plethora of non-compatible 1/2" and 1" helical
industrial formats from the 60's as to what not to do.

 From an archivist's perspective, having fewer varieties of codec,
file format and data types reduces the hardware, software and
knowledge required for later migration and access... and can save
money in the long run.

Ted