[Tig] A call for open formats

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Sun Sep 18 23:53:32 BST 2011

On 9/18/11 8:21 AM, "Jim Lindelien" <hombresur at gmail.com> commented on the
TIG list:

> Things are not so dark as this.  The files are not encrypted, and so full of
> inherently redundant information that reverse engineering the format is a
> straightforward task for any programmer with video experience and a good HEX
> editor.
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

True, but:  I know of several cases where some LTO tapes simply failed, and
then some backup tapes failed, requiring that a major-studio restoration
project had to be redone, about 7 years later.  The data files are no good
if the media on which the files are stored go bad.

And I recently had a case where a 2003 film I had mastered was saved on
DTF-2 data tapes as 2K DPX files.  We could not locate a working DTF-2
machine, since the format has kind of fallen from favor.

This is kind of like having a consumer Betamax tape, and then having a hard
time finding a working Betamax machine on which to play it.  Sure, it can be
done... but how much trouble and expense is it going to be?

And don't get me started about the number of projects mastered to Ampex
DCT...

--Marc W.