[Tig] Super resolution processing...

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Aug 3 15:15:31 BST 2012

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Ken Robinson wrote:

> http://www.gizmag.com/super-resolution-weizmann-institute/23486/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=a928c067f0-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email

While I have little doubt that such techniques are possible, the
before and after images in the article look faked to me.

The only way you could get this level of blur in the original is if it
was a very small part of the original image (in which case it would
appear more noisy than blurry), or taken by a very terrible camera
(which would exhibit other artifacts), or intentionally taken out of
focus (in which case the described algorithms would not apply).  Many
of these pictures could not possibly be a small crop from an original
image and the user normally deletes images this bad in camera.

The original does not look like the result of a sharpening algorithm.

They say that there is a fool born every minute.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn