[Tig] Super resolution processing...

Jim Houston jdhouston at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 3 18:55:49 BST 2012

If you look at the original paper, you can see the level of cropping they are doing.
I'm sure they also used a cheap camera, and zoomed in, a lot of point and shoots
 really are this bad.  No, users don't delete images even when this bad.

More to the point.  They are trying to show a well-known technique that really does
 pick up extra details, but in their example by using repetition in the same image.  It shows
 what it intends to show.  It is better though to use super-resolution techniques
based upon adjacent frames if you want an application to the movies.
Any motion based, or image detail repetition algorithms will have artifacts
 and you can see some of them even in the small image at the web page.
None of this is that new, there have been papers about it for a decade.
So-called super resolution resampling has also already been used in
production many times.  It is a technique buried within some other
 very well known tech labels.

Jim H.