[Tig] Learning the trade

Shai Drori srdbx at netvision.net.il
Sun Aug 5 19:20:42 BST 2012

This is my first post to the TIG, and it is a question I have been
asking myself a long time? How did you learn your craft? Was it by
formal learning? Training on the job? At the local photo store? How much
of it was pure learning and how much was raw talent? I am wondering
because there are no good colorists where I am and I think it's because
there was no learning chain where one would learn from seasoned
professionals. I didn't bother with this until I started scanning films
to 4k that I noticed the difference between what I expected to see from
films and what I got from digitization businesses. What I got from them
looked like something a technician was working on without any
understanding of what film should look like. Looked like they were going
for the "smiley" effect in audio.
Cheers
Shai Drori
Israel