[Tig] Learning the trade

dixie@westpoint.tv dixie at westpoint.tv
Sun Aug 5 20:36:43 BST 2012

Hi Learned Ones

I started work at BBC Tv in London in 1976, there it was all very basic, RGB lift and gain, on a Cintel Mk1 or 2 - twin lens . The Beeb acronym was TARIF ( Technical Apparatus For the Recertification of Inferior Film). There was PTC (Program Tarif Control) that relied on foil dots on the film and a paper punch tape to determine shot changes. These had to be entered manually on an Acmade film bench. There was a Shot Change detector in a few machines, if you were feeling really gungho ( no good for neg and upset by motion ! )
Look how far we have come ! I am sure there are a number of us who can remember going on air wondering if we would get to the end.

Those were the days when TV was exciting and fun.

David Dean
Westpoint TV
0208 742 3400