[Tig] from James Wicks - Learning the trade

James Wicks jim at jimwicks.com
Mon Aug 6 14:18:22 BST 2012

> Marc wrote: "...I would also add:  learn as much as you
> can about the work of the cinematographer."

I whole heartedly agree with Marc.

My dad was an award-winning cinematographer who started when television started.
He moved up the ranks to bigger productions, and traveled the world doing major shoots.
Dad was the first adjunct film professor to teach at NYU's film school 1962-65.
Directors such as Martin Scorsese have spoken about dad's influence on their education and film style.

I learned everything I know about cinematography from my dad: lighting, lens', film stock, and so on.
He taught me how to change magazines using his changing tent.
I even 'borrowed' his ARRI without his knowledge to shoot my first film in high school.

Life is about learning, not just learning to be the one thing you want to earn a living with.
Learn everything you can, bring your life experience to the table.
And if a Colorist is what you want to be, then you'll be all the better for it.

And after you learned all you can, and have passed everything you know on to someone else, rinse, and repeat; start learning all over again.

James Wicks, COLORIST
digital, film, television, web
Website: www.JimWicks.com
Phone: 561.721.5187