[Tig] What are you grading today?

Dave Pickett pickettscharge at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 18:49:18 GMT 2012

Jean-Clement,

I dont think anyone in this group eschews the quality of film and I think most of us prefer it to anything else.  However there has been a near collapse in the use of film for television and medical uses, i.e. xrays.  Kodak's restructuring and emergence as an inkjet copier company is a sadly, all too loud voice of film's demise.  Laboratories are feeling the heat as well with a fraction of the throughput from the mid 90's and subsequent industry consolidation.

I think you find yourself in a rare space in time where you are grading film much like it used to be worldwide.  I really hope that Fuji or others will keep manufacturing high quality neg and I hope there will be labs to process it.  Current trends suggest a different outlook.

And not to forget the thread topic:

Mon - Ice Cream commercial - Phantom - 2048x1080 .cine files

Tuesday - Network Pilot - 1920x1080 Alexa 4444 Log C

Wednesday - Heating/Cooling spots - 1920x 1080 Alexa 4444 Log C

Coming soon a commercial on RED Epic 5120x2700 R3D

Keep the torch alight Jean-Clement, no one wants to see film cease and desist.

Dave

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Jam Edit - Atlanta