[Tig] Cyc Wall Paint

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Thu May 31 22:47:31 BST 2012

On May 31, 2012, at 11:20 AM, David L. Tosh wrote:

> On 5/31/2012 1:32 AM, Cem Ozkilicci wrote:
>> I'm building a cyc wall in the grading suite and wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation for the paint ? Should it be 18% gray, or neutral white?...
>>
> Remember that the brightness of the surround result from the product of the illumination level / spectra and the reflectance of the material you are going use. .......[etc.]

> But the end result is intended to be subdued enough to as /not/ cause accommodation of your vision to the background color temperature that could influence your perception of the money shots on the screen. You need a known color temperature object approximately at the levels of peak white on your displays to provide the reference white. (Rob was known to put up a half size square on the CRT at 100 IRE and stare at it for a few minutes to make sure he knew where white was. - How's that for dated technology and measurements?)

The spectrum of the reference illuminant can be determined with a good spectroradiometer, and it's been my experience that the CCFLs (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps) are much preferable to plain D65-fluorescents.  If I'm not mistaken D65 LEDs can also exhibit spectral irregularities.

In an environment where you're satisfied that the monitor is properly set up (a subject for debate--what is 'properly' when the home viewing environment is so variable?) you can reduce the image size slightly and surround it with your own desired level of neutral gray or white.  I find that this mortised surround is quite useful and best if you can vary its luminance according to an agreed percentage, depending on the monitor's (possibly variable) peak.

However, for eye relief, (and as stated in the otherwise fairly dated SMPTE standard) it's very useful to have your white reference some distance from the monitor screen, and providing some texture, so that the eye can focus for the different depth.  This texture can be in the form, for example, of a corduroy pattern from fabric.  A little experimentation with the illuminant, reflecting surface, and a spectroradiometer, will pay dividends.

Rob
--
Rob Lingelbach  http://rob.colorist.org
TIG founder/admin   Colorist